Thursday, January 20, 2011

The End

It has been a very quick two weeks. I had one week off before we left and every single day was filled with going somewhere and getting something done for the adoption. I wasn't able to sleep in like usual, probably because I knew there was so much to do and little time to do it in. The deadlines were immediate and often required "within 24 hours". Up until the very end, we didn't even have enough money to complete the adoption! Fortunate for us to have such loving friends and family that donated their money to help make our dream a reality. The final almost-setback was on the day we were leaving (yesterday) when we were informed by GWCA that they had not received our payment and if they did not get payment that very day, our flights would be affected and we would possibly not be able to travel. Long story short, the post office in Austin had the package there. GWCA was able to pick up the package and we followed through with our plans.

The plane ride from Tyler to Houston was very bumpy. We waited for our luggage for about 45 mins only to learn that it was already enroute to Beijing! We waited another hour for the hotel shuttle to finally pick us up. We are staying at the Hilton Houston North. Very nice hotel, but it was after 10p.m. when we finally arrived and did not get to enjoy the beautiful hotel or it's scenery. We leave in 15 minutes and had to get a taxi since the shuttle services do not run this early. An inconvenience, but hopefully we'll get to the airport by 5a.m. The plane leaves at 6.

We have been in awe and wonder that this is actually happening. A part of me is even a bit terrified by it, mostly because I have been so sleep deprived that I can't imagine this being a way of life!

and the Hilton just charged me $10 for internet access, so I'm logging off now. More later


Liz said...

It's 10:10pm Thurs night. I'm not sure how long the flight is, but I suspect you are on the ground by now. Or close.

Praying for you as your life changes! It will never be the same!

Leah said...

Hey...I'm Keri's friend and have been following you for a while now. I am so happy that you are finally in route to get your precious boy. We adopted an older boy from foster care 18 months ago. It's been amazing and difficult and scary and great all at the same time. Give yourself plenty of time to just be still with your son. And don't worry if your emotions throw you off. Sometimes our feelings don't matter as much as our will. You are giving an amazing gift to him. People will tell you how lucky he is. And he definitely is! But you will know without a doubt that YOU are the lucky ones. God bless you in this journey and please let me know if I can offer any support to you and your new family!

Liz said...

Ok, it's nearly 10pm on the 27th. I don't remember what your schedule is, so I don't know where in the process you are right now. Seems like I remember you saying that you would be in China for a week or two. So after 1 week, I'm anxious & curious to hear how Chanz is doing with you guys, how you're feeling as a new mommy (!!!!) and how ready you are to get home. I can't wait to hear!!

Lesa said...

Oh how I wish you post some updates... I'm also with your agency and you are following my blog. Your son is a cutie. We adopted our son last year and know how anxious you were at wondering how adopting an older child would be. Our son was 3 when we got him.